Monday, June 12, 2006
World Cup here, World Cup there, World Cup everywhere. And I am here everyday, wondering if I should watch or stay on my book for the coming exam on Tuesday. Anyway I just went to Bob’s, brought my lecture’s notes along with me. Like there will be Micro quiz at the halftime break [host by Adam Smith..haha]

Actually, there was a point to bring something that will be a distraction from the screen. Since the last 2 days match that I was watched are boring like hell. England – Paraguay: 1 – 0 and Serbia Montenegro – Netherlands : 0 – 1. What was that? I thought World Cup this year will be promising when I watched how Germany slaughtered Costa Rica 4 – 2 [not really a slaughter… quite surprised also bout Germany though]. I hope there will be no match for the coming match; I am expecting a battle here. Yes, a battle...not just 22 peoples that want to fulfill the country’s order to show up on the field. I am also expectin some shockers, like what Senegal did in World Cup 2002 in Japan. French ended up with not qualified for the next round, not even a single goal scored. Honestly, I was pretty amused.

I wanted to post something at the first day the World Cup started. I am overjoyed, but restricted by my internet connection here. Because for football lover, World Cup is like a ritual, when people will take a break or laying over a bit to watch the greatest sport event in the entire mankind civilization. It won’t be a surprise if the world will have slow economic activity for the next 1 month or NOT. I just realize, economic activity don’t just work from making profit or making loss, but also making luck. Once I read an article that World Cup 2002 had some billions of dollars money circulation, most of them comes from bet house like William Hill. Some people win, some people lose. Me? I like to enjoy my friend’s face, who pretty much will place a bet on that particular match. Priceless. [Erwin, this one for you Bro..]

For now and then, I would like to make a statement. With my football passion as a witness, I am announcing that for this year World Cup, I will take a shot with England and just England. Not like World Cup 2002 which I stood for both Italy and England. Honestly, it doesn’t make any sense to support Italy this year. Let’s compare these two teams:

England: (click here for England squad)
Fact and Comment:
- Starving with the title since 1966
- Full talent and experience, such as Steven Gerard, Frank Lampard, Rio Ferdinand, Gary Neville, Paul Robinson, Michael Owen and the Wonderkid Wayne Rooney
- David Beckham leadership as a captain has been proved (remember Euro 2004 vs Greece..)
- Deep squad. Wayne Bridge, Sol Campbell, David James and Stuart Downing could be ready anytime
- Lack of quality striker could be a problem. Michael Owen can't work alone, since Rooney still in doubtful condition
- England's coach, Sven Goran Erikkson has nothing to lose. He will be fired anyway, even if he won this WC.
- Premier League is one of the most respective league in the world. Guarantee of quality

Italy: (click here for the Italian squad)
- Controversy in Italian League may affect team morale.
- Lack of striker (They even have to bring Filippo Inzaghi along with the team..)
- Lack of winning character
- Catenaccio has no point, if there is no striker to score the lead.
- Expect too much from Fransesco Totti
- Not promising in friendly match
- History, as three time winners could be a whip
- Have the best defense in the world
- Marcello Lippi is a great coach with some triumph and legacy.

NB: This comment may contain some errors and bias.

Basically, I don't like how Italy play this day. I prefer an attacking team with ability to put defense as well, like England does. How about Brazil? hmmm...Brazil is the best team probably, but I hate them for dominating the tournament. France and Germany? Germany as the host have their own advantage and France....not even a chance.

to be continued..........
 
posted by gerry at 1:58 AM
1 Comments:


At Mon Jun 12, 09:39:00 AM, Blogger dahlia

english off ..plissss

huwaaaaaaaaa hiks uhuk uhuk hiks..
ga ngertiiiii


tegaaaaaaaaaaa !!!!